Saturday, September 5, 2009

Shabd: Satgur ki seva safal hai

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh.

Just wanted to share a beautiful shabad I came across ... translations courtesy of SikhNet.com. Apologies for lack of Gurmukhi font.

Sometimes I wonder what true Gur ka Seva means - serving others in my community? Serving Sikhs? Living according to the Guru Granth Sahib? Doing naam simran? I try my best to do some of everything - volunteer in my local community, educate the Sikh youth, meditate... well something for me to reflect on more. What do you think?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh!

*

(644-14)
salok mehlaa 3

satgur kee sayvaa safal hai jay ko karay chit laa-ay.
Service to the True Guru is fruitful and rewarding, if one performs it with his mind focused on it.

man chindi-aa fal paavnaa ha-umai vichahu jaa-ay.
The fruits of the mind's desires are obtained, and egotism departs from within.

banDhan torhai mukat ho-ay sachay rahai samaa-ay.
His bonds are broken, and he is liberated; he remains absorbed in the True Lord.

is jag meh naam alabh hai gurmukh vasai man aa-ay.
It is so difficult to obtain the Naam in this world; it comes to dwell in the mind of the Gurmukh.

naanak jo gur sayveh aapnaa ha-o tin balihaarai jaa-o.
O Nanak, I am a sacrifice to one who serves his True Guru.

No comments: